Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What the hell is this dang thing?

  1. #1
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    This is an odd camera with an odd discription. I can't tell if it is a Super 8 camera, Regular 8 or what. Take a look:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1341599718



    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  2. #2
    Seppo.T
    Guest Seppo.T's Avatar

    Post

    Hmm, 16fps and a semi-old russian camera. Very likely double-8. Some old Lomo-cameras bear the name Avrora.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    eightmm
    Guest eightmm's Avatar

    Post

    Standard 8, Regular 8, double 8, all the same for film or type of camera.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    cameraguy
    Guest cameraguy's Avatar

    Post

    Based on the shape it sure looks like a double 8.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Forgive my ignorance but is there is there a dif between "double 8" and "regular 8"? I understand about running the film each direction and splitting it, etc. I was under the impression that all the reg 8 cameras did that. But I occasionally see cameras listed as double 8mm as opposed to regular 8mm. Wha's up?

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  6. #6
    Seppo.T
    Guest Seppo.T's Avatar

    Post

    To stir up some more this gauge-soup. Once upon the time (in the fifties) there were some 8mm cameras using pre-slit regular8 film. Film was preloaded into magazines supported by those cameras. The magazine was returned when film has been shot and after processing the magazine was loaded with fresh stock and returned to customer. In the literature from the fifties I have seen those cameras called plainly 'single 8', which name has later been used only to refer to the Fuji's S-type 8mm filmstock from '65 on. The term double-8 is probably a relic from the fifties' single8/double8 terminology.

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Seppo.T (edited March 25, 2002).]

  7. #7
    eightmmovies
    Guest eightmmovies's Avatar

    Post

    If the 6.3 inches is meant to be 6.3mm! then it might be a real oddball, but, if you divide 16mm by 25.4 you get 0.63 inches, which means it is double/regular/standard 8mm.

    I seem to have read about a system using around 6.3mm size film, but cannot remember where. A site on gauges and their history I think.

    ------------------
    keep the shutter going and check out MZ and Railways at http://www.siltec.co.uk

  8. #8
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seppo.T:
    To stir up some more this gauge-soup. Once upon the time (in the fifties) there were some 8mm cameras using pre-slit regular8 film. Film was preloaded into magazines supported by those cameras.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yes! I KNEW I had seen cameras like that years ago. I remember a cousin or uncle or something that had a camera that used preloaded cartridges of 8mm film. They were very thin and not anywhere thick enough to hold 16mm wide, unslit film. I wonder how one can tell the difference when these units come up on ebay?

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  9. #9
    eightmm
    Guest eightmm's Avatar

    Post

    Lets not forget 9.5mm too. I hear you can still get film for this 80 year old gauge!

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Seppo.T
    Guest Seppo.T's Avatar

    Post

    Someone seemed interested in this topic. Ok, this info is from some old cine literature, I have not seen those cameras. I can not guarantee, that there isn't also D8 cameras floating around under similar model names.

    Some regular8 camera models using 'single-8' film in a reloadable cartridge/magazine:

    Agfa Movex 8L
    Nizo 1x8 AK
    Some old Bauer 8 cameras. Some newer Bauer 8 are D8.
    There is/was probably also a Blaupunkt 8mm camera designed to support a single8 charger.

    Of Kodak and the like I do not know, seems that US manufacturers preferred more the idea of double-8 charger/cartridge.



    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •